Geoeletrical investigations in the archeological site of Lixus
Starting Date: 2011
Partner: Dipartimento di Archeologia e Storia dell'Arti dell'Università degli studi di Siena
Project Supervisor: Marta Caterina Bottacchi
- Archaeological investigation
The mission is in collaboration with prof. Papi, professor of Roman Provinces archeology at the University of Siena, who for many years with his team conducts excavations and research in Morocco: Volubilis, and Thamusida, and now Lixus.
The purpose of the mission is to protect and enhance the ancient city of Lixus.
The ancient city of Lixus covers an area of 75 hectares, is located 3 km from the Atlantic Ocean at the mouth of the river Loukkos, and is included in the urban perimeter of the modern city of Larache, not far from Tangier.
The history of the site, the current state of research, beginning in the Phoenician period, and extends from the seventh century. B.C. to the twelfth century. A.D.
The Moroccan Society of Archaeology and Heritage has started campaigns for the protection and preservation of this important archaeological site.
As the first mission was carried out a series of geophysical prospection in the site by using instrumentation of the GCT: an extended geoelectric investigation through the instrument OhmMapper to identify the geological stratification of the site, and a GPR survey in some parts of the hill trying to find new structures in order to better understand the organization of the ancient city and guide future excavations will be made in the area.
The structures currently visible (baths, temples, theater / amphitheater, salting factories ...) were brought to light by excavations carried out between 1948 and 1969.
Then there were very few activities of excavation, but the efforts were mainly directed to the restoration and recovery of structures that are discovered during the initial investigation. However, it was estimated that 80% of the site is still unexplored.
The investigation of the CGT will certainly give new data on some of the unexplored areas of the city.