Project: European Commission
Partener: Direccion de Industria, Energia y Mineria (DINAMIGE) – Uruguay
Project Supervisor: L. Disperati, L. Carmignani.
Subjects: Natural resources – Land administration, Environmental sciences – Urban and regional planning, Earth observation
This project funded by the European Commission and the Republic of Uruguay was aimed to the development of sectors related to semiprecious (amethysts) and ornamental stones business and processing. The project developed the organization and improvement of croos-cutting activities with a territorial planning for the environmental safeguard.
Attention was focused on:
- the inventory and survey of data concerning semiprecious stones (amethysts) and ornamental stones (marbles and granites);
- the definition of the equipment for the survey and for the acquisition data;
- the seam localization;
- the acquisition of geological, mining and environmental data.
The project produced
- map of the deposits with geological database GIS (Geographic Information System);
- geological description of each deposit;
- proposal for the development of cross-cutting activities, transformation and commercialization of the products both in domestic and foreign market;
- proposals concerning environmental legislation.